In order to keep the health insurance cover of their family members up to date, staff members, graduates, fellows, and beneficiaries of the CERN Pension Fund who are Main Members of the CHIS are obliged to inform the Organization in writing about their spouse's* situation or any change in their spouse's situation regarding:
- his professional activity, and
- his health insurance.
Indeed, Staff members, fellows, graduates and beneficiaries of the CERN Pension Fund who are Main Members of the CHIS whose spouse:
- receives a gross monthly income deriving from a professional activity in excess or equal to 2 500 CHF; and
- does not have an adequate primary health insurance other than the CHIS,
have to pay a supplementary contribution, in addition to the monthly contribution deducted each month from the salary or pension. This corresponds to a monthly contribution and is determined on the basis of the spouse's gross monthly income.
Any situation or change in situation must be reported within 30 calendar days following any change by using the Spouse Health Insurance & Professional Income Declaration form (SHIPID) :
- For Staff members, graduates and fellows, the "SHIPID" form is available in EDH,
- Pensioners must contact the CERN Pension Fund for an initial declaration.The update form for subsequent declarations is available here. It must be printed, completed and returned to the CERN Pension Fund.
- Students are not required to complete a "SHIPID".
What should be reported and when should a SHIPID be completed?
Spouse is employed
Spouse works freelance
Spouse is a pensioner
Declare the Gross monthly income as indicated on the pay slip (in excess or equal to 2 500 CHF).
Any change that results in a change in your spouse's income bracket must be reported.
You must also declare:
These changes in salary must be reported in a new declaration: the income to be reported will include the gross monthly income and the bonus (or 13th month) and the effective date will be the 1st day of the month in which the latter was paid.
Example for 13th Salary/ Bonus received in December 2022.
Then the month later
Declare your best estimate of the income for the year in question, divided by 12.
Declare the gross monthly amount of your spouse’s retirement pension, as indicated on the pension statement.
If necessary, declare the annual pension amount divided by 12.
Income : any form of remuneration, salary, fee or emolument deriving from a professional activity, including any replacement salary received during periods of leave.
The following are not considered as income :
Retirement pensions : Any payment from an old-age insurance scheme, including the CERN Pension Fund.
The following are not considered as retirement pensions:
Please be reminded that:
- a false declaration or the failure to make a declaration may constitute fraud and may therefore lead to disciplinary action in accordance with the provisions of Article V 5.03 of the CHIS Rules and Article S VI 2.01 of the Staff Rules.
- on request, the Main Member must provide supporting documentation relating to the spouse's gross monthly income in accordance with Articles IV 2.02 and IV 2.03 (salary slip for employees, annual income declaration for self-employed persons, pension statement for pensioners).
We remain at your disposal to answer any questions about the SHIPID form via the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
(* As per Article S IV 1.02 of the Staff Rules and Regulations, the term “spouse” includes registered partners.)